About Me

My photo
If who we are is what we do, then like most people, I am a mixed bag of personas. Writer, bookworm, friend, are what first come to mind. Equally apt would be potty mouth, dog walker, Guinness drinker, swimmer, storyteller, political animal, baker and proud Canadian. Mostly though, I consider myself simply insanely lucky to have a small posse of near and dear ones who put up with me and my curvy, creative, curly haired, opinionated self. I started this blog several years ago with the idea to challenge myself in a myriad of ways. Years in, despite the sporadic entries, I still like to muse about the absurdity of life, what inspires surprises and angers me, books and other entertainments, my menagerie, my travels and any other notion buzzing round in my head.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Wanderlust

It’s less than one month til I head off for Spain and Ireland. If I didn’t have so much work to do before I leave I am sure I would need to be peeled off the ceiling daily from the excitement and anticipation. I’m counting the days. I have taken a much needed day to myself today extending our Victoria Day long weekend from three to four days. Done surveying my spring / summer wardrobe, I think I have everything I need for my trip. I’m totally stoked. In vacation mode already, I find thoughts of the trip permeating everything I do. I can’t help myself from working my holiday into idle conversation with just about everyone I encounter. Even getting a pedicure this morning, I caught myself musing to the aesthetician about what colour I should choose for my travels next month.

And why shouldn’t I be excited?? For 11 glorious days I’ll be wandering around the Barcelona area, with at least one planned side trip to Sitges, a pretty seaside town boasting no less than 9 beaches, quiet cobbled streets, old buildings and markets to explore. I’m flying out of Girona after my time in Spain to Ireland. It’s like taking two back to back completely different holidays. Ireland will be a wholly other experience. Welcoming warm hospitality, mad fun, gossipy companionable pints with friends and a wonderful wedding celebration are in store for me when I land in Clare for the next 7 days. Ireland is one of those places that feeds my soul. It’s peaceful and lush. I have a romping good time every visit. I leave a wee piece of my heart there every time I go, swapping it for a passel of fond memories.

I know it will go by in a flash, as all good experiences do. But I have every intention of savoring the whole thing from top to bottom, soaking up the Catalan culture in Barcelona and falling in with my locals in Clare. Travel is a relatively new thing for me. I only started venturing out into the world after my marriage ended. These past 8 years I have been bitten repeatedly by wanderlust bug. Planning each trip renews a fever in me to explore more and more of the world. Germany next fall for Oktoberfest, India the year after, New Zealand, Argentina, Rome. My list keeps growing.

After much consultation we decided on a pretty summery pink this morning for my pre-holiday toes. I have 29 more days to figure out what colour goes best with Barcelona. Maybe a burnt red or perhaps a deep plum. I should likely get my butt out the door and get on with my afternoon. But instead, I’ll sit back here and envision myself sitting at a café off Las Ramblas, sipping wine and watching the world, Catalan style, wander by.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I hope you have a great time. Post lots of pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete