About Me

My photo
If who we are is what we do, then like most people, I am a mixed bag of personas. Writer, bookworm, friend, are what first come to mind. Equally apt would be potty mouth, dog walker, Guinness drinker, swimmer, storyteller, political animal, baker and proud Canadian. Mostly though, I consider myself simply insanely lucky to have a small posse of near and dear ones who put up with me and my curvy, creative, curly haired, opinionated self. I started this blog several years ago with the idea to challenge myself in a myriad of ways. Years in, despite the sporadic entries, I still like to muse about the absurdity of life, what inspires surprises and angers me, books and other entertainments, my menagerie, my travels and any other notion buzzing round in my head.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Maytrees


“Love so sprang at her, she honestly thought no one had ever looked into it. Where was it in literature? Someone would have written something. She must not have recognized it. Time to read everything again.”

I love a good love story. It’s a universal theme in our lives. To find love, keep love, overcome love gone wrong and try again. Hopeless romantic that I am, I suspect many others also find that a thoughtful author’s well written love story can evoke feelings like those of past loves and warm our hearts to our own present and future love. In Annie Dillard’s masterful hands, the love between Maytree and Lou pulsates off the page. You can feel their heartache, their joy, their anxiety and bewilderment. Provincetown and their community isn’t just a backdrop for the story, it is as much a character living along side them as Revedere the old moneyed, eccentric and many times married grand lady of the town or bohemian Deary, who’s actions scandalize the community and rock the foundation of Maytree and Lou for years.

Stirring, and thoroughly affecting, The Maytrees is a story that goes by too quickly and which you want to read time and time again, to experience this love once more, enduring and profound.

No comments:

Post a Comment