About Me

My photo
If who we are is what we do, then like most people, I am a mixed bag of personas. Writer, bookworm, friend, are what first come to mind. Equally apt would be potty mouth, dog walker, Guinness drinker, swimmer, storyteller, political animal, baker and proud Canadian. Mostly though, I consider myself simply insanely lucky to have a small posse of near and dear ones who put up with me and my curvy, creative, curly haired, opinionated self. I started this blog several years ago with the idea to challenge myself in a myriad of ways. Years in, despite the sporadic entries, I still like to muse about the absurdity of life, what inspires surprises and angers me, books and other entertainments, my menagerie, my travels and any other notion buzzing round in my head.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Flann Flatulence and 46

Busy weekend and even busier week ahead with more birthdays feted and the countdown to a pending implementation for a project I’ve been working on for several months coming due on March 30th. Still, a quick note to hold us over til things settle down.

Am slogging my way through Flann O’Brien’s At Swim-Two-Birds and sorry to say I’ve come upon the first book this year that I’m not really enjoying. It’s OK. Funny in bits but in an old, dated kind of humour. I’ve not come yet to any real understanding of why this book regularly sits on the list of 100 best novels ever written. Sure O’Brien is witty and deft at mockery but it could be this is too just dry for my liking. Nonetheless we’ll finish ‘er up so I can move on to something I enjoy more.

It wouldn’t be right if I didn’t acknowledge the Marchies… those wonderful folk in my life who, like me celebrate birthdays this month.

Greta
Paul
Kieran
Gearoid
Connor
Niamh

It basically works out to a piece of cake every 5 days. Not too shabby. Some of you have found the fountain of youth, others younger and feeling older and some not too pushed either way. Much love to you all. At 46 this month myself, I can honestly say life gets better as I go along. To realize now that a lot of what one fusses about in your youth can be left aside and that living presently and contentedly in each moment is key to peace of mind is a wonderful feeling.

Zen stuff aside, there’s another great reason to celebrate birthdays (in our family at least) the search for and giving of the perfect birthday card. While all were fab, this year’s winner hands down goes to go to Chris Connor and Laura.

Front of card - As we grow older, things start to fail, our hearing diminishes. Luckily, nature in her wisdom compensates…..

Open card to sound of person letting rip a loud smelly fart….

Inside card…by making our farts louder!

Summed up best, regardless of your age, fart jokes just never get old.

No comments:

Post a Comment