About Me

My photo
If who we are is what we do, then like most people, I am a mixed bag of personas. Writer, bookworm, friend, are what first come to mind. Equally apt would be potty mouth, dog walker, Guinness drinker, swimmer, storyteller, political animal, baker and proud Canadian. Mostly though, I consider myself simply insanely lucky to have a small posse of near and dear ones who put up with me and my curvy, creative, curly haired, opinionated self. I started this blog several years ago with the idea to challenge myself in a myriad of ways. Years in, despite the sporadic entries, I still like to muse about the absurdity of life, what inspires surprises and angers me, books and other entertainments, my menagerie, my travels and any other notion buzzing round in my head.

Friday, January 2, 2009

Irish Mischief


Paddy Clark Ha Ha Ha (Roddy Doyle)


I wanted to start with something engaging, funny and reasonably light. The book is the story of a 10 year old boy in 1960's Ireland and the events that surround his life. Doyle's best known for his trilogy, The Commitments, Snapper and The Van.

Normally, I don't enjoy books written from a child's point of view. I prefer a more adult sense of humour. I started reading Paddy Clarke on my way out to Mississauga yesterday for New Year's dinner with my family. Coming from an Irish background myself and having spent some time in Ireland, the vernacular and turn of phrase Doyle uses as Paddy and his friends get into mischief is familiar to me and smirkworthy. Enjoyable so far. Doyle's certainly a master of dialogue. I like a man who gives good chat!

Am off to the movies and then to the market. Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment