About Me

My photo
If who we are is what we do, then like most people, I am a mixed bag of personas. Writer, bookworm, friend, are what first come to mind. Equally apt would be potty mouth, dog walker, Guinness drinker, swimmer, storyteller, political animal, baker and proud Canadian. Mostly though, I consider myself simply insanely lucky to have a small posse of near and dear ones who put up with me and my curvy, creative, curly haired, opinionated self. I started this blog several years ago with the idea to challenge myself in a myriad of ways. Years in, despite the sporadic entries, I still like to muse about the absurdity of life, what inspires surprises and angers me, books and other entertainments, my menagerie, my travels and any other notion buzzing round in my head.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

So here goes: 50 in 50! Breathe in and begin...

Hello world. MB here. I'll save the intros for later as this first post will be uncharacteristically brief. Not wanting to procrastinate any longer, today's the day. Diving straight in with little knowledge of blogdom, but having spent most of my adult life writing and chronicling in one form or another, I felt it was time to get out there. To muse, write, philosophize, rant, babble, ponder, gab, and well, just simply communicate.

At almost 46 (leaning towards 50 as the header goes) and realizing the passage of time, I've hatched a plan for the coming year. A project of sorts. A challenge for myself. So here's the subplot. Its fairly simple and the rules are straight forward enough. 50 books, 50 pounds in 50 weeks. Give or take. Ideas, stories, knowledge and points of view in..... bulk, weight, heft out. A book and a pound a week.

I've amassed a list of 35 definite reads for the year. A sampling of modern, classic and curious reads. The remaining 15 I'll figure out as as I go. I've got no gimmacky weight loss plan, just a sincere desire to do that thing which I have, til now, thought I could not do.

With an at times cripplingly short attention span, a love of chocolate, a wide social circle of foodies and wine drinking buddies, a love of words and books and ideas, a job at times fun and challenging and otherwise maddeningly invasive and an adorable but active 85 lb lab named Murphy who keeps me on the go, it should be an interesting year, if nothing else.

And so.... here goes!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a very good idea. Can you sent me the list?

    ReplyDelete