About Me

My photo
If who we are is what we do, then like most people, I am a mixed bag of personas. Writer, bookworm, friend, are what first come to mind. Equally apt would be potty mouth, dog walker, Guinness drinker, swimmer, storyteller, political animal, baker and proud Canadian. Mostly though, I consider myself simply insanely lucky to have a small posse of near and dear ones who put up with me and my curvy, creative, curly haired, opinionated self. I started this blog several years ago with the idea to challenge myself in a myriad of ways. Years in, despite the sporadic entries, I still like to muse about the absurdity of life, what inspires surprises and angers me, books and other entertainments, my menagerie, my travels and any other notion buzzing round in my head.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tell me more Marley, but speak comfort to me.













Its been a puttering sort of day as I relax for one more, prior to heading back to work tomorrow. Christmas is finally over. Being abit of a Scrooge, I have to admit a certain relief as the Christmas hubbub ends. I love spending time with my friends and family, but luckily, I do that all year round. The stress, the crowds, the annual goodwill towards men effort, the materialism are all things I can do without. That said, these past few weeks have been enjoyable. I happily supped and laughed with the family (garnering myself a new nickname - heretofore I shall be called Darth Vegan), enjoyed good chat and many drinks with friends, made snow angels, baked, read and took frequent long walks with Murphy. Oh, and saw my usual blitz of year end movies. 2 excellent flicks and 2 disappointments. 50-50 (hah!)

Benjamin Button and Slumdog Millionaire are both being well received and likely candidates come award season. A curious and unique story(I didn't read the Hemingway book on which its based), I found Benjamin Button a beautiful homage to a life spent loving and paths crossing. I can't say much more about Slumdog Millionaire that hasn't already been written. Its a must see in my book. Funny (that autograph scene - SNORT!), endearing and hopeful. Utterly enjoyable.

Opposite to these two movie going experiences, I was reminded of CBC columnist, Heather Mallick's New Year's entry (http://www.heathermallick.ca/cbc.ca-columns/new-years-resolutions-how-i-suffer.html) as I was coming out of Quantum of Solace. Bond movies are usually good for a light cinematic romp. But despite its horrific reviews, I still plunked down my cash and with only the Scene membership points to show for it, came away un-enthralled, unimpressed and understandably bored. Mallick's first resolution this New Year was to learn from her Mamma Mia experience. You know its going to be bad. Don't put yourself through it.

I don't make resolutions at the beginning of the year. But, only because its too good not to, I'm stealing another one from Ms. Mallick. My one and only New Year's resolution is to stop discussing the weather. It's boring. I'm not boring.... and frankly there are much better things to talk about. Unfortunately, one of these things is not my last movie of the year, Marley and Me. Now, I read this book and loved it. Someone gave me a copy a few weeks after I got Murphy. He looked identical to the dog on the cover of the book (that's Murph in the inset - isn't he cute!!).

As a new dog owner, I inhaled the book, laughing and crying my way through it. I love a book that can evoke both. Thing is, as it goes for most books I've enjoyed, the movies just don't deliver. (Insert cringing emoticon at the thought of what they did to my beloved Garcia Marquez classic, Love in the Time of Cholera.) Owen Wilson simply doesn't have the acting depth to handle some of the more emotional scenes in Marley and Me, and Jennifer Aniston... well, she just annoys me. Talentless. (Sorry Jen, nothing personal).

So from my point of view, in movieland this year, Bond bites, Benji's a beauty and Marley ain't no Slumdog.
Bring on The Wrestler!

2 comments:

  1. While I agree with some of your statements, I, however, disagree with your reviews of Marley and Me. Even though it was not the best movie of 2008, it was nonetheless a good movie. As for Jennifer Aniston, she was good in it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog, what a great idea now if only we all had the disipline to give up the TV.....the things we could achieve!!!!!
    Great plan with the book tracking I am curious how you will find Paddy Clarke.
    Keep it going my friend:-)

    ReplyDelete