About Me

My photo
If who we are is what we do, then like most people, I am a mixed bag of personas. Writer, bookworm, friend, are what first come to mind. Equally apt would be potty mouth, dog walker, Guinness drinker, swimmer, storyteller, political animal, baker and proud Canadian. Mostly though, I consider myself simply insanely lucky to have a small posse of near and dear ones who put up with me and my curvy, creative, curly haired, opinionated self. I started this blog several years ago with the idea to challenge myself in a myriad of ways. Years in, despite the sporadic entries, I still like to muse about the absurdity of life, what inspires surprises and angers me, books and other entertainments, my menagerie, my travels and any other notion buzzing round in my head.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Once you choose hope, anything's possible. (Christopher Reeve)

Getting off the subway this morning at Dundas Station, there were several paramedics examining a man laying on his back on the platform, near the ticket booth. The police and TTC security were there sheltering the man from prying eyes and encouraging commuters to keep moving. As I walked past, I heard one of the paramedics ask the man “were you trying to kill yourself”. This surprised me. He looked ok. Unhurt, awake, sober.

I’m a hopeful person. I rebound easily to the ups and few downs that life has thrown me and try to be positive about life, living presently, looking forward not back. I have no idea what was going on with this man on the subway floor this morning, but he got me thinking about hope. With my recent bout of Obamamania waning, as I read the headlines this weekend of the bombing in Gaza, the doomsday economic predictions for 2009 and the panic which ensued at the indications of another tsunami off Indonesia’s coast, hope seemed farthest from my mind. And yet, there as if to salve the hurts of the world, tucked on the back of one section of the Globe I found Ian Brown’s monthly installment of his correspondence with L’Arche founder, Jean Vanier.

I love reading letters. As a communication method, in this day of instant messaging and skype, letters are nearly extinct. But reading letters seem to me wonderfully permanent, more thoughtful and intimate. Brown and Vanier discuss many things, not the least of which is Brown’s parenting of a disabled son and Vanier’s life work building communities for the disabled around the world. What struck me about this weekend’s installment was the simplicity of Vanier’s words. Brown was asking about pacifism and the notion of a just war in this day and age. Vanier’s message is simple. Peace is the answer. Intentional, consistent, loving welcome of the difference amongst each of us is the road to peace.

Some might find this thinking naive. I find it encouraging. And so I hope.
I hope the man from the subway is ok.
I hope the fighting stops in Gaza.
I hope I can resist chocolate.
I hope to make a living as a writer.
I hope my sisters give up smoking.
I hope the economic crisis stabilizes without too much hardship for those on the edge.
I hope to romp and laugh and play more.
I hope the Leafs win the Stanley Cup.
I hope to learn a new language.
I hope for peace.
It's possible.

2 comments:

  1. I hope for sanity of mind and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're right.

    I hope to be back to read more of your blog in the future.

    Nice to meet another Torontonian.

    ReplyDelete