About Me

My photo
If who we are is what we do, then like most people, I am a mixed bag of personas. Writer, bookworm, friend, are what first come to mind. Equally apt would be potty mouth, dog walker, Guinness drinker, swimmer, storyteller, political animal, baker and proud Canadian. Mostly though, I consider myself simply insanely lucky to have a small posse of near and dear ones who put up with me and my curvy, creative, curly haired, opinionated self. I started this blog several years ago with the idea to challenge myself in a myriad of ways. Years in, despite the sporadic entries, I still like to muse about the absurdity of life, what inspires surprises and angers me, books and other entertainments, my menagerie, my travels and any other notion buzzing round in my head.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

It would be absolutely, totally and in all other ways, inconceivable!

I have no idea how it happened, but as far as I can tell and with very little effort on my part, I lost a pound this week. Granted, I didn’t overdo it in the eating department. And, I walked my usual routes each day with Murph. But, other than increasing the amount of water I drank to the recommended 6 or so glasses each day, I put no effort at all towards losing weight. I know it will take a lot more effort than this to slim down 50 lbs. But for today, I’ll assume that water I drank flushed away a pound and take that pound with glee. Consider it a New Year’s gift from the cosmos.

The universe speaks to me from time to time. I know how that sounds, but it’s true. It nudges me, sends me signs, and encourages me. Silly metaphors aside, I do believe that when you make decisions in life that are right for you, especially tough ones, the path you have chosen opens up a bit, clearing the way so you can proceed. The key is to hurry your way down the path while you can. This morning, having just weighed myself and buoyed by my much unearned success, I found tucked under a black cammie in my dresser, my black bathing suit. Wanting to go swimming as part of my new exercise plan, I had searched high and low this past weekend for the only suit I have that doesn’t make me feel like a complete chub. Today, having inconceivably achieved some small measure of success in losing weight, the universe spoke. It dropped my bathing suit right in plain view and said, get your wobbly butt to the pool and do some laps.

Procrastination has been a constant companion of mine. It’s been comfortably residing in my world with its cousin Justification for years. I have convinced myself that I work best under pressure, leaving things to the last possible second. And, to my credit I do get stuff done. Deep down though, I know that an inglorious, slow and steady pace is much more effective than my dramatic, rush to the finish line approach. It’s not sexy but it works. Obviously, getting healthy is not something you can leave to the last second in life, jamming in good eating habits and workouts at the end. Would that it were so.

Reading books that interest and challenge me is not a hardship. I am thoroughly (40 pages from the end of Paddy Clarke) enjoying myself in that regard. But committing to change a lifetime of habits of obesity, seriously earnestly really trying to reshape my body, and improve my overall health, that is hard. Really, really, hard. Way harder than actually living life fat. Procrastination is getting excited now, as she sees I might be coming to visit for a while. But she’s wrong. Not today. Today, because the path is clear, I’m heading down the road less traveled. I’m going for a swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment